caravanandcampingforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

caravanandcampingforum.com

A Friendly Caravan and Camping Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Taking your laptop

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mike

mike

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 11:48 pm

Dont know if any members take there laptops on holiday but i have for a few years now,i have a usb dongle for tv so if i want to watch any thing i dont need take a tv,i also like to keep up with our dandy forum whilst away so i have a usb internet dongle also,just got a new phone which apart from internet capable it also converts into a mobile wifi hot spot,you just turn on the mobile hot spot setting then your laptop or tablet can connect to the internet with no wires or dongles.
For those that dont know this is called tethering lots of the service providers dont allow you to do it and it can eat up your internet allowance very quickly so the right service plan is needed,the one i got is from 3 its there one plan the internet allowance is a genuine unlimited with no fair user allowance and they advertise it for tethering,the connection is password protected so your not providing connections for all and sundry but you can connect up to 5 devises at the same time.

mike
Back to top Go down
orion

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 4:08 am

Good post that mike, im on 3 so will look into the one plan Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 4:24 am

Some one on the 3 forum told me if you use more than 40gb in a month 3 may look at your usage but so long as they find no peer to peer file sharing or commercial use they will take no action.Some one else thought 450gb a month may be a limit but no one has got anywhere near that with normal use so it cant be verified lol! up to now i have been using a dongle for everything and my usage is normally 3-5 gb a month,since the 29th of last month i have been on line for over 100 hours,i guess if you download hd movies ect you would use a lot more but even 40gb a month is a lot 450gb is stupid for most users.
Back to top Go down
orion

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:24 am

I've used my phone for tethering before mike but couldn't get a strong enough signal to keep the connection.
It'll be handy to have for when we go fishing to the likes of anglesey and weymouth when we're away for a good few days to get updates on the wind and weather conditions ect, wouldn't be using anywhere near that allowance for what we want.

Thinking about it now tho a lot of places we end up are very isolated and quite often can't get a phone signal.
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 11:11 am

Yes that can be a problem,i take my virgin 3g dongle its surprising how often its got through on just a gprs signal,slow but workable.

mike
Back to top Go down
Seafisherman

Seafisherman

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 am

Hi Mike Im on 3 I pay £15 a month pay as you go for 3 G but i have run out in the past before the 30 days were up...also i was away for 5 weeks last year and had good connections everywhere i went with 3...what is this one plan you were talking about???....Frank
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 am

I pay £25 a month and get a phone (wildfire s) 2000 min to any network 5000 texts cant remember the 3 to 3 min but think its 5000 and all the internet i can use with no limits,the phone is one that is capable of creating a wi-fi hot spot the same sort that your McDonalds have,so i set it on hot spot and connect my laptop or tablet to it wire free instead of a dongle.
You have to remember its worth it to me as i dont have a land line any more so that's £13 a month no fixed internet so that's at least £15 a month and i would have a £15 mobile any way,so as you see for me its cheaper.

mikelink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Taking your laptop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking your laptop   Taking your laptop Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taking your laptop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
caravanandcampingforum.com :: A Wealth of Information @ your Fingertips :: General-
Jump to: